Consequences of Doping
When Athletes dope there are consequences, and these consequences can be wide-reaching. Not only is there a ban from the sport but they also affect an Athlete's career and personal life.
An Anti-Doping Rule Violation may lead to the following:
- Disqualification of results in the event/competition during which the ADRV occurred (if applicable) and of results in competitions subsequent to the sample collection
- Period of ineligibility ranging from a warning to a lifetime ban from all sports.
- Public Disclosure
ADRV committed by Athletes who are part of a team sport might lead to sanctions for the entire team. For example, the whole team may experience loss of points, disqualification from competition or event, or other sanctions.
An Athlete or other Person serving a period of Ineligibility is prohibited from coaching or serving as an Athlete Support Person in any other capacity at any time during the period of Ineligibility.
It should also be noted that more and more public authorities and governments have adopted legislation that treats doping as a criminal act. Therefore, in addition to the suspension, an Athlete or Athlete Support Personnel or other persons may also face criminal charges in their countries.
The use of drugs or medication without a medical need or medical advice is highly likely to put an Athlete’s health at risk.
When using banned substances there is an increased risk of:
- Substance dependency
- Wider drug use and habits
- Chronic illness
- Behavior changes
- Physiological changes that in the worst case can be irreversible
- Psychological consequences such as depression, withdrawal, guilt/shame, and loss of self-identity.
Social consequences such as isolation from the sport you dedicated your entire life and from your team mates with whom you may have shared great moments. This may also include the loss of heroine/hero status, a public embarrassment, and social exclusion. Within family and friends, this may lead to damaged relationships, disappointment, and failure.
An Anti-Doping Rule Violation may have a financial impact on the individual:
- Financial penalties
- Loss of grants, funding from sport organization (ICSD or National Committee) or from government,
- Loss of contracts or sponsorship