Deaflympics Opening and Closing Ceremonies Protocol
Opening Ceremony Requirements:
- A section within the Grandstand in the Stadium should be reserved for the distinguished guests, members and technical directors of the International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (ICSD), members of the Organizing Committee and senior members of the host National Federations. There should also be reserved car parking spaces for the guests and volunteers close to the stadium. The official party may either be seated on a stage, platform or in a V.I.P. section within the Stadium. The official party shall be restricted to the ICSD Executives, Chief Officers of the Organizing Committee, National Deaf Sports Federation, Senior Government representatives, I.O.C. President (or his nominee), local dignitaries, major sponsors, etc.
- Interpreters skilled in International signs should be spaced out in front of the spectators to translate spoken or signed language into International signs. Native Deaf citizens should provide some interpreters signing into local Deaf Sign Language to enable comprehension.
Parade and Ceremony Requirements:
- Olympic Flag - Prior to the commencement of the Opening ceremony, the Olympic flag shall be raised in a prominent position and shall remain there until after the conclusion of the closing ceremonies.
- Parade of the Participants - Parade of athletes and team officials should follow the alphabetical order according to the English language. In all parades, France shall be first, and the Host country shall be last.
- Speeches - The parade will be followed by the Welcome Greetings. The protocol will be in the following order:
- President of Organizing Committee
- IOC President or his/her nominee may be in attendance
- ICSD President
- Winter Deaflympics - “I declare open the __ (number of the Winter Deaflympics) Winter Deaflympics of ____ (name of the host city).”
- Summer Deaflympics - “I declare open the __ (number of the Summer Deaflympics) Summer Deaflympics of ____ (name of the host city).”
- Deaflympics - Raising the Deaflympics flag to the tune of Deaflympics music.
- Taking of the oath by a competitor - An athlete shall make an oath on behalf of athletes - every effort must be made to give the oath in International Sign Language. Athlete will gesture the words: “In the name of all competitors I promise that we shall take part in these ____ (Summer/Winter) Deaflympics, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honour of our teams”.
- Taking of the oath by an official - An official shall make an oath on behalf of officials - every effort must be made to give the oath in International Sign Language. Sports official will gesture the words: “In the name of all the judges and officials, I promise that we shall officiate in these ____ (Summer/Winter) Deaflympics with complete impartiality respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, in the true spirit of sportsmanship”.
Closing Ceremony Requirements:
- A section within the Grandstand in the Stadium should be reserved for distinguished guests, members and technical directors of ICSD, members of the Organizing Committee and senior members of the host National Federations.
Parade and Ceremony Requirements:
- Parade of the Participants - The Closing Ceremony shall begin with a parade of sign carriers and ensigns followed by the entrance of athletes and officials in the same order as that of the Opening Ceremony.
- Farewell Speech - When athletes and officials have found their viewing places, the farewell speech is made by the President of Organizing Committee.
- Declaring the Deaflympics closed - The President of ICSD will declare the Deaflympics officially closed.
- Anthem and flag
- Deafylmpcs - Lowering the Deaflympics flag to the tune of Deaflympics music.
- During the entire period of the Deaflympics, including all ceremonies, there shall be no demonstrations, manifestation, propaganda, or speeches of any kind may be held by any representative of any government or other public authority, nor by any person individually, or collectively, politically, in any venue placed under the responsibility of the Deaflympics Organizing Committee. During the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, only the President of the Organizing Committee, IOC President or his/her nominee and the President of ICSD are entitled to deliver short addresses.